Experience has future -
History of the VULKAN Group
The VULKAN company has been owned solely by the Hackforth family since 1889. The VULKAN Group companies are committed to a common set of values from the tradition grown out of a medium-sized family business.
Our customers requirements for punctual delivery, quality, product safety and eco-friendliness with reduced costs are and continue to be a constantly growing challenge
Our aim is to offer benefits to the user from development and production to the marketing of products and services.
All members of the family provide maximum support to reach this goal, now and in the future. Although the 5th generation won't be able to contribute for some time yet.
1889 till 1956
1967 till 1997
2001 till 2015
VULKAN’s history began following the foundation of Maschinenfabrik Louis Schwarz in Dortmund. The company initially functioned as a supplier of brewing equipment, tanks and low pressure compressors for the already well-established Dortmund breweries.
The world’s first clutch, which was capable of being activated under load, was produced for use in lifting machinery, hoists and reversing gearboxes. It was manufactured by Louis Schwarz and it marked the beginning of VULKAN couplings.
The merger of Maschinenfabrik Louis Schwarz and the company Heinrich Behrend resulted in the establishment of Dortmunder VULKAN AG.
Foundation of Maschinenfabrik HACKFORTH & Co. by the engineer Bernhard Hackforth Sr (1871 – 1954) in Herne. The company was primarily involved in repair work and small amounts of contract work for the local mining and foundry industries.
1930 The spin-off
The flourishing construction of couplings and transmission units for ships was separated from “Dortmunder VULKAN AG” and made autonomous under the name “VULKAN Kupplungs- und Getriebebau GmbH”.
Back to the overview
Maschinenfabrik HACKFORTH & Co. took over the production from VULKAN Kupplungs- und Getriebebau GmbH. This resulted in the foundation stone for the co-operation between ”VULKAN” and “HACKFORTH” being laid.
All commercial and technical installations of VULKAN (in Dortmund) and HACKFORTH (in Herne) were destroyed during a World War II air-raid. The reconstruction of Maschinenfabrik HACKFORTH & Co. in Wanne-Eickel commenced immediately after the war.
1949 The changeBernhard Hackforth Jr (1914 – 1990) assumed sole responsibility for the business from his father. As a result, Maschinenfabrik HACKFORTH & Co. passed to the second generation.
VULKAN acquired the sole manufacturing and global marketing rights for a highly flexible coupling, aptly named the “Highly flexible VULKAN EZ Coupling”.
Back to the overview
1956 The modification
Bernhard Hackforth Jr acquired VULKAN AG. Consequently, the company was transformed into VULKAN Kupplungs- und Getriebebau B. Hackforth GmbH & Co. KG.
VULKAN was entrusted with the construction of the largest highly flexible couplings that had ever been built – the EZ 560 – with a nominal torque of 981 kNm.
Foundation of the production subsidiary American VULKAN Corporation in Winter Haven, Florida.
Foundation of the production subsidiary VULKAN do Brasil Ltda. in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Bernd Hackforth (1949) joined the company as joint owner. This resulted in the third generation of the Hackforth family taking over a share of the responsibility.
1978 The foundation of the company VULKAN Lokring
Foundation of VULKAN Lokring Rohrverbindungen GmbH & Co. KG, the headquarters of which were and remain located in Herne. The company is engaged in the development, production and marketing of solder free tube connections for air conditioning and refrigeration.
Foundation of VULKAN HAREX Stahlfasertechnik GmbH & Co. KG, the headquarters were located in Herne. HAREX milled steel fibres were used as a substitute for the standard steel reinforcement in concrete buildings.
VULKAN Kupplungs- und Getriebebau developed a coupling with an extremely high torsional flexibility, which bore the name RATO. Following this, the manufacturing of the patent-registered RATO S coupling began.
Foundation of the production subsidiary WUXI VULKAN Technologies Co., Ltd. in Wuxi, China.
Foundation of the production subsidiary VULKAN Technologies Pvt. Ltd. in Pune, India.
VULKAN Kupplungs- und Getriebebau established an in-house vulcanisation ensuring the control, knowhow and reproducible quality of a core process.
The merger of VULKAN Harex Stahlfasertechnik GmbH & Co. KG and Krampe Strahltechnik GmbH & Co. KG resulted in the establishment of the joint venture KrampeHarex GmbH & Co. KG; the headquarters were located in Hamm.
After working with the management of VULKAN Lokring for four years, Sebastian Hackforth (1978), the son of the sole proprietor Bernd Hackforth, was appointed President of the Hackforth Holding GmbH & Co. KG. This meant that the fourth generation had now taken co-responsibility for the VULKAN Group.
VULKAN Group celebrated the opening of the 20th VULKAN subsidiary located in Istanbul, Turkey.
Inauguration of the Hackforth Academy in the former residence of Bernhard Hackforth.
As a fitting tribute to the 125th anniversary of the company a new office building is built at the headquarters in Herne.
2015 Opening of the new headquarters' office building and celebration of the 125th anniversary of the VULKAN Group
The VULKAN company has been owned solely by the Hackforth family since 1889. On occasion of the 125th anniversary of the company the new headquarters in Herne was inaugurated in September 2015.